Monday 24 April 2017

Pencil Sketching!

Sometimes I like to simplify things and cut back to the bare minimum of materials in order to create more pure images? To re-connect with the subject and to concentrate on shape and form and tone! The only thing I have in order to express my thoughts and feelings are a carbon pencil and a sheet of clean white paper!
I can work quickly if necessary if the subject is fleeting or the light is inconsistent? Rapid marks and instant scribbles letting the pencil dance across the paper to it's own rhythm! Alternatively, I can take more time and try to build up layers of tone creating light and shade and detail! I mainly use two types of pencil. An 'F' and an '8B' made by 'Faber-Castell. I find I can get a wide range of tones and detail from these by varying the amount of pressure and by alternating the direction of pencil strokes! I prefer to use good quality heavy weight cartridge paper with a fine tooth whenever possible? I will be demonstrating some of my techniques at RSPB Rye Meads on Sat April 29th from 10.00 am till 5.00 pm and the following week Sunday 7th May from 11.00 am till 3.00 pm. Check out the posters below!







No comments:

Post a Comment